Time management is the ability to use one’s time effectively or productively, especially at work. But this is easier said than done. This is the beginning of a new year and we must have set out goals that we hope to achieve before the year ends. Yet, there are a lot of things competing for our time and attention every minute around us. How do we manage our time well in order to hit our targets for the year?
Why is it important to manage our time wisely?
- Prevents energy waste
- Relieves pressure
- More time for other things
- More opportunities
- Leaves time for rest
- Goals realization
How to manage time efficiently
1. Set goals correctly. Make sure your goals are S.M.A.R.T: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely.
2. Prioritize wisely. Set tasks based on their importance and urgency.
3. Set a time limit to complete a task. Decide what time to allot to different tasks and be disciplined to meet your time target.
4. Take a break between tasks to regain strength and focus.
5. Organize yourself. Keep a schedule of your activities.
6. Remove non-essential tasks/activities based on your priority list above. Don’t perform tasks that can be conveniently outsourced.
7. Plan ahead. Have a to-do list.
The implication of poor time management is waste of time, energy and other valuable resources. What more? The pressure of never meeting a deadline might adversely affect your health and productivity. Save yourself all these woes and learn time management.